Monday 28 October 2013

My Naughty Thyroid

I've developed an over-active thyroid, and one of the consequences of that was having to go on beta-blockers in order to slow down my heart rate and control its rhythm. I hadn't realised at the time that there was anything wrong with me - I'd actually been dieting after changing jobs and had started loosing weight, but it was only when friends started to comment that I'd perhaps lost a little too much that I became concerned. Photographs of me on holiday show pieces of string hanging from the sleeves of my t-shirt. These were in fact my arms, and it transpired that I'd lost nearly 3 stone in 3 months - some people would pay good money to go on a diet with results like that.
Another down-side is the beta-blockers made me feel tired and listless - I ached all over, and couldn't really concentrate on anything, especially anything creative that called for motivation and discipline. To make matters worse, I couldn't really drink alcohol, so this is the driest few months I've had since I was sixteen.

Thankfully, I'm off the beta-blockers now, and I've a hospital appointment lined up in a couple of weeks time. In the meantime, I'll have to put up with my skinny arms and legs, and my prominent rib cage. It's fair to say that my pecs need more definition.

I'll be really glad when I don't look like an extra from Tenko.




No comments:

Post a Comment